How long will I need braces

Do you want to know how long will you need braces? Read on.

You will need braces for approximately 18 months

An average orthodontic treatment lasts 18 months, but sometimes it can last up to 24 months or even longer.

Don't trust people who tell you that you will have a straight smile in only 6 months.

Although there are patients who think it is just a matter of closing a gap, the truth is that treatment in less than 6 months is quite rare.

What some people don't know is if their bite is aligned, if the airway is open, or if the palate is well formed. These are the hidden problems that can affect long-term oral and systemic health.

In the case of adult orthodontics, the duration of this treatment is usually longer than for children.

The actual time will depend on the needs of each patient, however adult teeth have stopped growing and are fixed, therefore they need more pressure to move.

This means that many adult patients may have braces for 18 months to 3 years.

In some cases, children may have to wear braces longer than this can occur.

A young patient may have an alienation difficulty, such as an improperly positioned tooth.

In this case, it is necessary to extract the tooth and wait for others to come in.

Depending on the waiting time of the remaining adult teeth, it may take longer.

It is also possible to shorten the treatment time with braces if the patient carefully follows the treatment instructions.


It is important that the patient maintains good oral hygiene and in the case of aligners or removable appliances such as bands should be worn during the prescribed treatment time.

See also  How to remove permanent hair dye with olive oil

It is also advisable to practice proper eating habits while wearing the appliance.

Among these it is necessary to avoid sticky or hard foods, such as chewing gum, popcorn, corn, pretzels and most sweets.

It is also very indispensable to brush your teeth properly with braces.

This post has informative character to clarify any doubt, you should consult with a specialist.

If you think this post was useful for you, do not hesitate to share it.